Thu, 02/09/2012 at 11:43:30 AM EST - ginag writes:
Manuel Contreras Flamenco Guitar – 1973
Signed, top-of-line, hand-crafted by the master himself
Cyprus back and sides
Rosewood head plate, bridge, and tuning pegs
Condition – very fine
Has had one repair – done in the Contreras shop in Madrid in 1975. Has been refinished once – at Contreras shop in Madrid in 1977 (had some pretty ‘rough’ treatment by the gypsies around Moron de la Frontera – see history below - and was beginning to show a lot of scratching and wearing through the original finish)
Sound – super crisp and ‘dry’ with a brilliant tone – “muy Flamenco.”
The guitar was purchased new from Don Pohren in 1973. Don had brought two new ones he had just bought from Contreras in Madrid before coming down to Moron de la Frontera for the summer ‘season’ at the Finca Espartero. It has been owned by me since that time. The guitar has a wonderful and unique historical resume – it has been played by;
- Diego del Gastor - several times during lessons I took with him in Moron de la Frontera, and once in a juerga at the Finca Espartero – all in late spring and early summer of 1973 – before his passing in July of that year.
- Augustin Rios – scores of times during lessons and impromptu juergas in Moron de la Frontera during the years of 1973, 1975, and 1977.
- Juanito (Juan del Gastor) – a few times during lessons in 1973.
- Dieguito (Diego de Moron) – a few times during lessons and at my place in Moron in 1973, and 1975.
- Pedro Bacán – once at an early-morning continuation of a ‘professional’ juerga at which he had played (in one it the seniorito’s casetas) at Feria Sevilla the night before - 1975
It has accompanied great cantaores and fiesteros in and around Moron, Lebrija, and Alcala – including;
- Anzonini del Puerto
- Manolito el de la Maria
- El Funi
- La Fernanda
The price is $5,500 USD - firm.
You can see and play it before purchasing at my home in Ocala, Florida. If you come, and then end up buying this incredible instrument, I will reimburse your travel expenses - up to a maximum of $450 USD.
You can call me at: 1-352-624-3239
or email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
It hurts to let it go. I would love to see it in the hands of a player with heart - and aficion for the ‘old style’ toque.
- Gary Bumpas
Location: Fl, USA
Profile Created: 02/09/2012
Profile Updated: 02/09/2012